NCFE CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Early Years Education and Care
Level 3 (2 x A Level equivalent)
Duration 2 years
What will I study?
The qualification prepares learners to become Early Years Educators, enabling them to work with children from birth to 5 years and gain knowledge of children aged 5-7 years. You will be required to undertake significant periods of work placement which will be assessed to develop your competence when caring for and interacting with babies and young children. This will be highlighted upon your yearly timetable showing where block periods of study/placement will occur.
Upon successful completion of the course you will be able to access higher education or enter the workforce as an Early Years Educator as you will gain a licence to practice.
The course also offers several visits that are specific and professionally relevant to the unit of study including:
• A trip to a Forrest School/ Reggio Emilia School to gain experience and an understanding of international perspectives.
• A visit to the Children's Ward at Rotherham Hospital.
• Grimm & Co
Students are advised to purchase the College Childcare Polo Shirt to wear whilst on placements. This allows you to be identifiable and promotes safeguarding.
(These can be purchased during the Induction period for a cost of approx. £8 each.)
Forrest School/ Reggio Emilia trip: Approx. £22/£28.
How the qualification is structured
The qualification is structured around four themes:
• Theme 1: Health and Well-being
• Theme 2: Legislation, frameworks and professional practice
• Theme 3: Play, development and learning for school readiness
• Theme 4: Professional development
You must successfully complete:
• 27 mandatory units
• Pass longitudinal study
• Pass 3 externally set and marked assessments.
General Level 3 entry criteria including either Grade 4 in English Language or Maths.
You will need to take English or Maths alongside this qualification to allow progression into both the workforce and/or higher education. If you have both English and Maths you may chose another subject to sit alongside this.
Students can progress into various job roles in the voluntary, statutory and private sector including careers in / as:
- Early Years Practitioner in Day Nursery
- Early Years Practitioner in Nursery School
- Early Years Practitioner in Reception Class within Primary Schools
- Pre School worker
What related qualifications can you progress to?
Level 4 Certificate for the Early Years Advanced Practitioner OR Foundation Degree.